After researching how we can assist our customers during the Coronavirus outbreak, we would like to share the below updates and information:
The CDC states the main transmission method is through airborne droplet nuclei, which confirms the importance of air filtration in the prevention of cross-infection. When we also consider the number of people in commercial and government facilities, then we realize the importance of our response to this threat. The particle size of viruses ranges from 0.05 to less than 0.005 microns, but they are typically attached to larger particles when airborne. These particles are generally around 1 micron in size. Viruses become airborne via droplet nuclei. Droplet nuclei are microscopic particles < 5 microns in size that are the leftover particles of evaporated droplets and are produced when a person coughs, sneezes, shouts, or sings. These particles can remain suspended in the air for prolonged periods of time and can be carried great distances on air currents.
A typical prefilter utilized is a MERV 8. We are recommending during the height of the outbreak that filtration be upgraded to a MERV 13. The MERV 13 filter will replace the current MERV 8 filter being used in units we service today without unit modifications. This will increase particle size capturing capabilities from 19.1% to about 78% (See Lab Test Below).
CMS/Nextech, in partnership with FilterPro USA, has MERV 13 media available and can acquire more at this time. We are uncertain of the continued availability in the long term.
OUR HVAC SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Install the MERV 13 filters
- Thoroughly clean and sanitize all evaporator coils and cabinets
- Turn all units on for constant indoor fan
- Maintain occupied settings for the next 30-60 days to maintain lower humidity levels inside the facilities
- After 30-60 days replace the filters again with MERV 13 filters
- Based on the initial reports, after 30-60 days with MERV 13 filters, it should be acceptable to return to the normal service schedules in place today
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Support Team with any questions.